Here are two of our favorite recipes using pumpkins. Everyone in our family looks forward to pumpkin season so we can enjoy the fruits of our labor. These recipes have come over the years from the magazine Taste of Home. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pumpkin (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil. Add water,
- potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Wash
- pumpkin; cut to 6 to 8 in. circle around top stem. Remove top and
- set aside; discard seeds and loosen fibers from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin
- and replace top. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil. Bake
- at 325° for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender (do not
- overbake). Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin
- with each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Fresh Pumpkin Pie
- 1 medium pie pumpkin
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Cut pumpkin in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place cut side down in
- a microwave-safe dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and microwave on
- high for 15-18 minutes or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry
- to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute
- edges. Set aside.
- Drain pumpkin. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash.
- Set aside 1-3/4 cups (save remaining pumpkin for another use).
- In large bowl, combine the mashed pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar,
- cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; beat until smooth. Gradually beat
- in milk. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45